• Victoria

17 ways to improve your home without planning permission

More homeowners than ever are staying where they are due to lack of suitable housing stock and the cost of moving.

If your planning a house move in 2018 or looking to extend without the hassle involved of applying for planning permission  check out these projects which fall under permitted development rights

Originally published by New Homes Magazine .

1970s home renovated and extended under permitted development

Certain types of improvement don’t require permission as they qualify under something called permitted development rights (PD).

Find out here 

1. Add a single-storey extension

Until 2019, the Government has doubled the maximum size of rear, single-storey extensions allowed under PD.

You can add an eight-metre extension to a detached house (previously four metres) and a six-metre extension to an semi detached or terrace However, the following criteria also apply:

  • The extension cannot sit forward of the existing front elevation of the property

  • Any materials used should be similar to existing.

  • If  within two metres of a boundary, the roof cannot be higher than three metres, or four metres otherwise.

  • For side elevations, the width must not be greater than half the width of the existing house. and are not permitted in Conservation Areas or Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Click here for expert advice 

2. Resign your layout 

As long as you’re not extending the overall footprint of your home, PD allows you to carry out interior changes – such as demolishing interior walls to create an open-plan space – 

You’ll need to follow Building Regulations guidance for some parts of the work, such as structural and electrical changes

This remodelled home was extended under permitted development to create a courtyard

3. Convert your garage

You can alter the internal space within an existing part of your property, such as incorporating an integral garage into your home, under PD rights, providing you are not increasing the overall footprint.

Click here to find out more about converting your garage.

4. Add new windows or doors

Double-glazing can be installed under PD rights, as long as your property isn’t listed.

If you’re planning to add new or bigger windows or doors, you’ll need to follow Building Regulations.

New windows facing the sides of your property must have obscured glass and cannot open, unless they’re more than 1.7 metres above the floor of the room. I

It’s also worth bearing in mind that new bay windows are classed as extensions.

5. Installing rooflights

Rooflights can be added to your home under PD providing they don’t project more than 15cm from the roof slope.

Permission is required where they would extend forward of the roof plane at the front of the property, and they aren’t allowed on properties in a Conservation Area or Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

6. Converting your loft

Loft conversions are a great way to create extra space

PD also allows for the construction of dormer windows, which will provide additional headroom within a converted loft.

However, these must not sit higher than the highest part of your existing roof, or extend forward of the roof plane at the front of the house.

The loft of this 18th-century home was converted to create a master suite

7. Adding a two-storey extension

A two-storey extension can only be added to your house under PD rights if it is at the rear.

This includes adding a second storey above an existing 

They cannot exceed three-metres in depth or be within seven-metres of the rear boundary. Specific restrictions will also apply to the windows

Click here to find out more.

8. Add an outbuilding

Whether you’d like a home office, a summerhouse or a detached garage, adding an outbuilding in your garden is likely to be allowed under PD rights, unless you live in a conservation area.

  • Outbuildings must be single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof, or three metres for any other roof.

  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms are allowed.

  • Your room must be no bigger than 30 square metres and cannot occupy more than 50 per cent of the total space of your garden.

  • permission will be needed for rooms used as accommodation – click here to find out more.

  • In National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the maximum area to be covered by outbuildings that are more than 20 metres from house is 10 square metres.

9. Add a porch

Most PD rights do not allow changes to the front of your house, but building a porch is an exception. So long as the porch is not taller than three metres; within two metres of a boundary next to a highway; or over three metres square;

click here.

10. Make two become one

If you’re thinking of moving because of a lack of space, consider whether you could convert two houses, such as a pair of semis or two flats, into one, as this can usually be done under PD. It’s worth knowing that the same rules do not applying to splitting an existing property into two – this requires full permission.

11. Change gates, fences and walls

You can erect, maintain, improve or alter a gate, fence or wall, providing it doesn’t exceed one metre tall, if next to a highway, or two metres for any other boundary.

12. Splash out on a swimming pool

You can build an outdoor pool within your garden as long as the area it covers does not exceed 50 per cent of your garden. If you’d rather your pool was indoors, see point eight for the rules on creating an outbuilding.

Planning permission was required for this home redesign, but adding a pool falls under permitted development

13. Think about cladding

Timber, stone and render are all popular types of external cladding and can usually be added under PD rights, providing it isn’t within a Conservation Area or Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Adding cladding alone doesn’t require Building Regulations approval – but if you want to add insulation, you’ll need to apply to your local building control department. For advice on adding timber cladding, click here.

14. Create a decked area

PD rights cover putting up decking in your garden, providing it’s no more than 30cm above the ground. The decking, plus any extensions or outbuildings, also cannot cover more than 50 per cent of your garden.

15. Install solar panels

Solar panels can be added providing they don’t protrude more than 20cm above the surface they’re attached to, and that the highest part of the panel is not higher than the highest part of the roof, excluding the chimney. Restrictions apply in Conservation Areas and on listed buildings. And if you’d prefer to add freestanding panels in the grounds of your house, click here for the full criteria.

16. Parking

Adding a driveway is allowed under PD rights, providing any surface over five square metres is made of porous material, or that run-off water from the surface will be directed into a permeable area within your boundary – not onto the highway.

17. Basements

If you don’t have sufficient space to extend or convert above ground, you can build into your basement. This will provide you with extra space, without reducing the size of your garden. PD covers converting an existing basement into living space, so long as there will be no change to the exterior and it won’t be used as a separate dwelling.

Excavating to create a new basement, which involves major works; adding a separate unit of accommodation; and/or altering the external appearance of the house; is likely to require  permission. For advice on converting a basement, click here.

Always check with the experts

This article highlights what you may be able to do under PD, but you should always check with your local council to ensure you do not require permission, as PD rights may have been removed.

If you’re thinking of selling in the future, obtain a Certificate of Lawful Development from your local authority, confirming the project falls within PD.

This will usually cost £75. For more information, visit planningportal.co.uk

Please note, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland each have their own version of these rules.

Skip Hire

Grab & Tipper 

Not enough room for a skip ? Waste & Junk Clearance Service 

Asbestos advice & Removal 

31 views0 comments